Monday, November 23, 2009

Memories in Blue

Memories in Blue Words by Maya James
As I sat at the foot of the little piece of the Mississippi that ran through my backyard, I continued working on the quilt I'd started for my baby girl to remember me by when I found out I was pregnant and reflected upon my past manifestations and what they mean to me now. I've sewed every reflection of myself into this quilt, from the time I was a tree to the time I was a king. I've been here many times before, too many in fact, but this time is special, for it is my last appearance here. I've had to struggle with the same external and internal demons in every life cycle but as I sit here, ready to accept freedom for my children, the notion of leaving my baby is planted in the foreground of my thoughts. As Safiya kicks my left side, I am reminded of the reason for the choice I have made and any fear or trepidation I felt was pushed out of my head as I tried to focus on today... Story goes on... Memories in Blue was the winner of the CLA short story competition in 2004
Finish Piece All water color on paper. Nov.27.09

3 comments:

  1. Ale, hit up Josue Rojas at Youth Outlook when you finish this piece, Im sure he'll know of some other opportunities to get freelance gigs. He is a dope artist who works for "Youth Outlook"
    -Rob

    This looks great btw, youre "doing it"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Alejandra :)

    Just wanted to let folks know they can check out Maya's full story in the coming issue of The Liberator

    http://www.liberatormagazine.com

    ReplyDelete